Split Apple is a luxury wellness retreat Located on the border of the Abel Tasman National Park on the northern tip of New Zealand’s South Island. Co founder and long time partners, Lee Nelson and Anne Pen Lee have combined their talents: (Lee a retired physician whose interest is nutritional and longevity medicine and Anne a culinary artist) to create this multi-award-winning, exclusive boutique wellness retreat.
Each of the 3 luxurious guest suites have 2 private decks with surrounding gardens and breathtaking 180-degree views of the sea .Furnished in a modern Japanese design, the intimate, nurturing, environment notably facilitates relaxation and rejuvenation.
Enjoy lazy afternoons by the salt water infinity pool combined with the Japanese Spa Bath, detoxifying in-fared sauna and a relaxing treatment (Deep tissue and Thai massage; aroma-touch massage or Reiki) in the massage room. Adventure down the private pathway to the beach or if your feeling active get your pulse up in the gym, a personal trainer available on request. There’s also the option to sit back and enjoy a film in the 8 seat theater room.
One of the highlights is the exceptional beautifully presented, gourmet cuisine. Pen incorporates the healthiest ingredients into her delicious recipes which which are presented as works of art bursting with flavor. Menus feature low glycemic index foods, no added sugar, and very limited dairy, including a very large variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables. Pen and Lee have written The Split Apple Thoughtful Food Cookbook
, which not only elucidates the science of healthful eating, but provides many gourmet recipes as well.
Smoked Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- 12 slices of cold smoked salmon fillets
- 5 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 avocados, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil and vinegrette dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Combine all ingredients except salmon in a medium bowl, toss to coat and set aside.
- Place salsa in the center to the serving dish in a square shape.
- Lay salmon fillets on to and salad on the side to serve.